Skip to content

Write the World FAQs

General
Do you have writing resources available?

You can find Q&As, writing tips and much more on our blog!

What is Write the World Review?

Write the World Review is our online journal where exemplary pieces from the site are published alongside a bio of the author and a recording of them reading their work. Any piece published in response to one of our writing prompts will be considered for publication in Write the World Review, as well as any piece submitted to a writing competition.

What is Wednesday Words?

Every week we select a young writer’s piece for our ‘Wednesday Words’ feature and the piece is publicized on our site and social media channels. Any pieces created in response to our writing prompts (excluding “Freewriting") will be automatically considered for Wednesday Words, and there is no requirement for pieces to be published on a specific day or at a particular time to be eligible. Keep an eye out on our site and social media each Wednesday to read the featured piece for that week!

Where are my badges?

While the badges you’ve earned still exist, you won’t be able to view your earned badges for a short while. Additionally, we are enhancing badges and earning new badge capabilities are disabled while we revamp this feature, and won’t be available until later this year. Stay tuned for exciting news and announcements about the new and improved badges!

How can I get updates about Write the World?
Follow us on Instagram and sign up for our newsletter here so you can always have the latest news about Write the World. From writing competitions to featured pieces, new offerings to events, we look forward to having you in our community!
How can I reach out for support?
Email support@writetheworld.org if you need any assistance. We'll be happy to provide more information about the site, assist with technical problems, and answer any questions you may have.
Using Write the World
Who can sign up?

Writers aged 13-19 can sign up to our free platform to publish their work and engage in monthly competitions, writing prompts, peer reviewing and more! Educators can also sign up to use Write the World's virtual class groups, lesson plans, assessment tools and other resources to supplement their curriculum.

How do I view Write the World content?

The new platform only allows logged-in users to access content on the platform. If you are not logged in, you will not be able to see content on the platform, so you will want to make sure you logged in to access content on the site. 

How can I reply to comments?

An exciting new feature on Write the World is that you will now be able to respond to comments on your piece. At the moment, three replies are allowed per comment: two from the piece writer, and one from the commenter.

How do I send a private message to someone?

Private comments such as moderator comments on pieces and reviews will not be available for a short while. We are working diligently to bring the private comments back and will announce this when they are ready to deploy. 

How do I search for a user?
To search for another member by username, go into the 'Groups' tab on the left hand side of your dashboard and click into the main Write the World group. Select the 'Members' tab within the group, and you will see the option to search for a user by their display name. From here you can view their country, last activity date and whether they follow you, and click onto their profile.
Where do I find writing prompts?

You can find our library of writing prompts under the ‘Start Writing’ button in the top left corner. This section contains multiple prompts in a variety of genres, and is updated every week. There is also a ‘Free Writing’ prompt, which encourages you to publish whatever you would like. Whether you want to do some quick writing practice, find inspiration for a piece, or try a new genre or style that is out of your comfort zone, there will be a prompt for you! To write a response to a prompt, simply select the one you are interested in, read it thoroughly, then click the 'Respond to Prompt' button at the bottom. Then you can write your piece, give it a title, and publish it for other writers on the site to read.

How do I write a peer review?

Head to the Dashboard, and choose any piece that has a purple 'Seeking Review' button which you would like to provide feedback on. You can also use the 'Filter' button to make the Dashboard only show pieces which are seeking peer review. Once you have chosen which piece to give feedback on, scroll down to the bottom of the piece and click the 'Write a Peer Review' button. Here you can respond to peer review questions, make annotation comments on the piece itself, and provide any additional comments to the writer.

 

For further advice on how to give encouraging and effective feedback, check out our Peer Review Guidelines.

Competitions

How do writing competitions work?

Every month, Write the World holds a new competition developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy writing, op-ed, or flash fiction. Our competitions, which are always free to enter, are judged by renowned and respected writers from across the globe. Winners receive cash prizes and a feature on our blog and social media. The Competitions page contains information about current, upcoming, and past competitions.

How do I enter a writing competition?

1. If you haven’t yet, sign up for a free account for Write the World as a young writer here.

 

2. Hit the “Enter Competition” button on the left! Click on the open competition and read the prompt carefully.

 

3. When you’re ready to write, click “Respond to Prompt,” and start writing! Your draft will automatically save. You can also click “Save Draft” and name that version for later, if you want to return to it.

 

4. (Optional) To receive feedback from your peers and/or an expert, select “Request Feedback.”

 

       a. If you want an Expert Review: Check off the “Request an Expert Review.” The first 50 people to submit a draft before Monday, February 12th, can receive an in-depth review from one of our Expert Reviewers—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals—that you can use to revise your final entry. This will not publish your draft to the site.

 

       b. If you want peer reviews: Check off the “Publish for Peer Review.” This will publish your draft to the site, making it viewable to other writers on the dashboard so they can read and review your work.

 

Once you’ve made your selections, click “Submit.” **We recommend that you continue to revise your draft based on feedback from your peers and Expert Reviewer, if you receive one. You can revise your draft and request feedback from your peers as many times as you like!**

 

5. When you’re ready to submit your draft as a final entry, hit the "Submit to Competition" button. **Note: Once you submit, you can no longer revise your submission. You must SUBMIT to the competition, not just publish, in order to be considered. All final submissions will automatically be published on Write the World’s website.**

What is an expert review?

An Expert Review is personalized feedback provided by a volunteer from our team of experts, which includes authors, writing teachers, and education professionals. Expert Reviews provide detailed feedback on your competition entry so that you can edit and develop your piece for final submission to the competition. Every month, we offer 50 free Expert Reviews—first come, first serve!

What is a peer review?

A Peer Review is a way for you to leave feedback for another writer. You can write in-line comments and respond to questions about what you liked about the piece, and leave suggestions you might have for it. Writing and receiving Peer Reviews are a way for you and your peers to improve each other’s work and grow as writers. Here at Write the World, we believe in the importance of drafting and redrafting, and that revision is so much easier (and more fun) when we have eager readers telling us what’s working well and where we might strengthen our craft.

Can I edit my competition submission?

Once you click the “Submit to Competition” button, your submission is final – you will not be able to edit the piece after submission. Consider publishing your piece to the dashboard first so you can receive feedback from your peers. You can continue to revise and republish the piece until you’re ready to submit your final perfected version to the competition!

What time do the competitions officially close?

Final submissions are always due at 11:59 PM in the writer's timezone, wherever they are in the world, on the day that the competition closes.

How strict is the word count?

The word count should be taken as a strong recommendation. We will usually consider pieces within 100 words on either side of the word count, but not if they’re much shorter or longer than that. In general, you should keep in mind that the competition is asking for pieces of a certain length, so fulfilling that expectation means you’re meeting the competition ask – and thus more likely to win!

Is previously published work eligible?

Our monthly competitions are designed to get you writing across a range of genres throughout the year, so we encourage you to write a new work for each competition, but we will also accept work that has been previously shared with a small, local audience (e.g. a piece that was published in a school journal).

Once I’ve published a piece in a Write the World competition, can I submit it to another site or competition?

Students who publish their work on Write the World are allowed to republish that work elsewhere, because they retain all ownership rights to their pieces. We do request that the young writers mention in a footnote that it was originally published on Write the World, but we understand that this is not always possible, which is acceptable by our terms. (You can read those terms in full here.)

 

That being said, you should check to see if the other site or contest has any rules about a piece being published elsewhere first. If you would like a non-competition piece deleted from Write the World so it can be entered elsewhere, you can remove it by locating it in My Writing and deleting the piece by selecting the ellipses menu. If you have any other questions, you can contact us at support@writetheworld.org.

Am I allowed to collaborate with a friend to write my competition submission?

All competition entries should be written primarily by the person who is submitting the piece. That being said, we understand that writing and editing can be collaborative processes. Some competitions are more suited for collaboration than others – for instance, you might collaborate with a friend in our Songwriting Competition to write a melody or play an instrument in your performance. Our rule of thumb: You should always have done the majority of the work.

Do you have any writing guidelines I should be aware of?

The power of our writing goes hand in hand with responsibility. Make sure that you’re supporting other people through your writing rather than pulling them down. The types of content that will be removed from the site include, but are not limited to:

 

  • Anything that may be deemed hurtful, defamatory or discriminatory in nature.
  • Anything deemed explicit or gratuitously violent.
  • Anything referencing self-harm.
  • Any commercial posts and/or spam.
  • Plagiarism (see more at our Writing Guidelines page).
  • Personal contact information—including usernames on social media or other platforms. This is to protect the privacy of our members.
  • Links to any external websites, with the exception of links to citations as part of an essay, or including links to illustrations or audio as part of a Write the World competition or prompt.

 

If a writer posts content that violates our terms or goes against our guidelines, we will remove the post and contact the writer when necessary. Please refer to our Writing Guidelines and site’s terms for further information.

Donations

Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes, we are a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization and your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S. law. To claim a donation as a deduction on your U.S. taxes, please keep your email donation receipt as your official record with the EIN number 88-2997005.

What payment forms do you accept?

We accept all major credit cards, banks, Google Pay, Apple Pay, Paypal, and checks.


Please use the donate form to donate online.

How do I give by check?

Please send any donations by check to:
Write the World
20 University Road, Suite 500
Cambridge, MA 02138

Can I dedicate my donation?

If you are donating online, you can dedicate your donation. Donors can make a gift donation ‘In Honor of’ or ‘In Memory of’ someone and optionally send an email notification about the dedication.

I have a technical issue with my donation

Write the World uses Give Lively to collect donations. Please see the Give Lively FAQ for technical questions about your donation.

I have a different question about my donation

If you have any other donation related questions not answered here, please email hello@writetheworld.org. If you have a question related to a recent donation, please include your first and last name and the email address used when making the donation.

Who can I talk to about becoming a corporate partner or sponsor?

Thank you for your interest! Please fill out this form and our team will be in touch.

Join the Write the World Community

Ready to write with us? 

Explore our free writing prompts for teens, enter our competitions, interact with your peers, and more.