Skip to content

AI Writing

How will Artificial Intelligence (AI) change the future of writing? Check out our information and resources, geared toward students and educators.

 

 

 

 

Write the World's Statement on AI Writing

Technological developments in the area of Artificial Intelligence (AI), especially large language models in the past couple of years, have emerged with awesome capabilities accessible to the general public. Specifically, the ability to generate any amount of text content from a prompt of just a few words, will have an impact in many fields, especially with consideration to ethics, creativity, and pedagogy.
“Artificial intelligence is a machine’s ability to perform the cognitive functions we usually associate with human minds.”

 

How Will AI Change the Process of Writing?

Writing is a process that emulates the evolution of our thinking. Writing is also social. As we interact with the world and gain new experiences, share our work, and get feedback, the resulting reflection helps us revise our thinking and our writing. In a similar way, perhaps AI can be used as a tool to support the writing process.

The use of AI will only increase; indeed, in the future, students may be expected to and benefit from using it in job positions to save time and resources. 49% of business leaders surveyed are planning to implement generative AI in their enterprise in the next 24 months, saving an average 2.5 hours every 8 hour-day (Grammarly Business). The question, then, is this: How can we implement the use of AI in a way that is authentic, rather than artificial?
How can we implement the use of AI in a way that is authentic, rather than artificial?

Can AI Be a Tool for Writers?

We propose exploring AI as a tool that can enhance the process of writing. Instead of prompting an AI chat tool to write something (in which it paraphrases language that already exists), more sophisticated prompts have the potential to provide feedback, offer suggestions, rewrite complex sections, and much more.

For example, after a first draft is written, a student might ask a large language model such as ChatGPT, how they could improve the imagery in their piece. The student can then choose to integrate the advice, dismiss it, or it may spark a different, new idea. The student may ask the AI for further details or clarifications. In this way, the student is the primary driving force of action and agency, practicing critical thinking skills as they synthesize, analyze, and evaluate the efficacy of AI-generated advice in alignment with their creative objectives and intended audience.
teen-boy-laptop-studying-inside-window
Student: ChatGPT, how can I improve the imagery in my poem above?
ChatGPT: Your poem already has vivid imagery, but you can enhance it by incorporating more sensory details and using specific language. Here are some suggestions...
As large language models further improve, the AI-generated advice and resulting conversations may also improve, but the student is driving the work of learning.

There are also many opportunities for students to develop critical analysis skills through AI discernment, such as by analyzing prompts and results, AI-generated texts; conversations on ethics and plagiarism; the development of prompt writing skills; the use of AI for immediate feedback; the internalization of writing structures; and possibly much more. 

As more experimentation and research are conducted on the potential use of AI throughout the writing process, more concrete best practices can be established.
Students should be the primary driving force of action and agency (doing the work of learning).

Our Approach to AI

We endeavor to be an example of how students and educators might begin to use AI effectively as a tool,
  • By clearly defining the policy for student use of AI in our terms of use and writing guidelines.
  • By providing transparency when and where AI is used on Write the World.
  • By developing resources (based on emerging experimentation and research) for educators to support their knowledge of AI, and writing activities and strategies to incorporate AI as a writing tool in their students’ toolbox. These resources may evolve as the field evolves.
mimi-thian-7tb-EZTB8kk-unsplash
As more research and opportunities to experiment emerge, Write the World will remain intentional in developing tools for the betterment of the user experience, with consideration of the goals of improving the learning and writing processes and maintaining alignment with our mission.

At this time, AI is not embedded into the student-facing writing tools of our programs. However, tools such as ChatGPT and Bing are readily available to many students. While students may use AI when free-writing and responding to prompts, the use of AI may disqualify students from certain distinctions and programs, such as our writing competitions, Write the World Review, workshop, college essay, and afterschool programs, and/or certain other prompts or programs. In the future, AI tools may be embedded into our platform; however, we will include an AI-free version for schools and districts whose policies ban AI.

The impact of these next steps in technology is unknown as of yet. What we do know is that – as in any time when technology has made major strides forward (such as with calculators, keyboards, software, etc.)-- if we as educators do not equip students with the skills to understand and use these technologies, then we do a disservice to them and their future.
AI can be used as a tool to support the writing process and build authentic intelligence.

AI and Writing Resources

15+ AI Prompt Examples for Young Writers
 
Curious about how to use AI in your writing? Here are over 15 AI prompt examples you can use today to improve your skills.
 
AI Prompt Examples Handout-1

 

9 Quick Strategies for Teaching with AI
 
 
Curious about AI but not sure where to start? Here are some short, easy-to-implement ideas for using AI with students intentionally and responsibly, as pedagogical soundbites.
 
teaching-with-ai

 

Submit for a Chance to Get Published: AI Writing Prompts
 
Teens ages 13-19 can respond to several writing prompts about AI on Write the World. Update: submissions are now closed. See some of the standout pieces in the upcoming May issue of the Write the World Review.
 
AI writing prompt Review Submissions 3
Educators: Looking for more resources for your classroom? Check out the teaching writing resources.
write the world programs