Skip to content

Write the World Alumni:

 Free Writing Workshops for Young Adults

Welcome to the Alumni Network, a space where young adults with a passion for writing can connect and share their work! Our free online writing workshops are open to all young adults, even if you are not an alum of Write the World, and cover a variety of genres, styles, and topics to help you develop your craft.
 
For our August workshop, we're switching up the story. Join us to play with narratives and perspectives, and write in any genre that appeals to you – a poem, a short fiction scene, or even a play! Sign up below, and join our newsletter and social media channels to keep updated with everything happening in the alumni group.
 
We deeply appreciate and encourage a donation of US$5 or more to support our nonprofit mission and programs at Write the World.

Narratives & Perspectives Writing Workshop

girl-taking-photo-in-car-wing-mirror
Let’s switch up the narrative. What if you add a plot twist to an old fairy tale, or explore a well-known topic from an entirely new perspective? Poets, fiction writers, essayists, and everyone in between: you don't want to miss this one.
 
In this hour-long workshop, we'll read and discuss excerpts from a variety of genres and get inspired before taking the time to write our own pieces. Whether you're an expert wordsmith or just trying something new, we welcome everyone to write - and receive feedback - in this friendly workshop setting. The session is FREE and open to all young adult writers, so register now!
 
Date: Thursday, 29 August
Time: 11am ET / 4pm BST / 11pm SGT
What To Expect: The workshop will last an hour with roughly 25 minutes of reading and discussion, followed by 20 minutes of individual writing time and 15 minutes to share your work. Attendees can choose whether to have their cameras and mics on, and sharing writing with the rest of the group is optional. If you have any questions or require adjustments in order to participate, please reach out at alumni@writetheworld.org!
 
Keep an eye out for our other 2024 workshops:
  • October: Location Writing
  • December: Open Mic Session
Meet the Facilitators:

 

Xin Yi Yap

Xin Yi

 
Xin Yi is a writer and copywriter from Singapore. She has been facilitating Write the World Young Adult workshops since 2022 and enjoys seeing how participants tackle the same prompt differently. When not reading or collecting cute stationery, she’s probably rummaging through her imagination for the next writing idea.

Ellen Waters

Ellen

 
Ellen is a poet and writer from the UK. She has been working with Write the World Alumni since 2021, and loves the creativity, engagement, and varied perspectives that writers bring to every workshop. Her work has been featured in Viral Verses: Art in Exceptional Times, Indigo Literary Journal, and JFA Human Rights Journal.

Register for the workshop here!

Write the World is a nonprofit organization and we rely on donations in order to keep many of our programs free. Please consider making a small donation here to support our mission and help out more writers like you:
 
$
USD
Please enter an amount between $1-$100,000.

Join our community!

Facebook icon   Discord icon   Instagram icon